Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pineapple Cake and Summer Break

Someone had to eat the first slice.

Do you like how my post title totally rhymes?  I planned that.  Yeah, I am that awesome.

Now listen up.  If you are a teacher right about now I am super jealous of you.  You are about to go on break for a long period of time.  Do you realize how awesome that really is?  I mean when you vacation you use terms like "weeks", "months", or "summer".  I understand you have one of the toughest jobs, but really you are compensated for your time, and you really are sitting pretty.

I worked in education for a few years after college, and this idea of being off from work for the summer has been really hard for me to shake since leaving that field of work.  Really, it is.  Many days I consider returning to education...but then I remember that will mean having to discipline other people's undisciplined children and I change my mind.  Good luck with that, and you 100% deserve your summer break.

What are your plans this summer?  I sure do hope they involve eating pineapples, and if they don't you should seriously reconsider your plan of action.

They should also involve smoothies, and lots of them.  Speaking of smoothies I really need to invest in a sweet blender.  Maybe this one will arrive on my doorstep for my upcoming birthday : )  Hint hint...note to self...dream on, dream on.

While you are dreaming allow your thoughts to wander in the direction of this sweet, little, simple, and perfect cake.  Are you there yet?  Okay now imagine a moist, and pillowy yellow cake covered in a slight glaze of pineapple and caramel goodness.

Now eat it.  You welcome.

This cake is easy and quick to make...really I assembled it in no time at all and ate it in even less time. : )


Pineapple Cake
adapted from Food and Wine Magazine

3/4 cup plus 2 TBS brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste, or 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup crushed pineapple, juices drained
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour a 9" round cake pan.  Butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Sprinkle the bottom with 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar.

In a large skillet, combine the remaining 3/4 cup of brown sugar with the 1/2 stick of butter and the vanilla  and cook over moderately low heat until the butter is melted. Add the pineapple and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour mixture into bottom of the pan.

In a bowl, beat the butter with the granulated sugar.  Add the eggs and vanilla, then the sour cream.  In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add to the wet ingredients and beat until smooth.

Spoon the batter over the pineapple mixture and spread it evenly. Bake for about 40 minutes, until the cake is deep golden. Let cool for 5 minutes on a rack. Run a knife around the edge of the cake, invert it onto a plate and remove the pan. Replace any pineapple that may have stuck to the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.



Isn't this a lovely looking cake?  I highly suggest you drop all your plans for the day, go home, and make this now.  : )

Eat your heart out,

Dagny






2 comments:

  1. Ohh this cake sounds wonderful - l've never made a pineapple cake before!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I chose this recipe for my latest SRC post.. YUM!! Thanks for sharing it.
    Min
    The Bad Girl's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT HERE!!!